Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A Life Motto

Is. 58:6-7 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter - when you see the naked, to clothe them, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?"

Here's what I see: People pray and fast for great reasons. We seek God and ask Him to provide for important needs. This is an excellent thing and valuable. However, prayer and fasting without action is not what God wants from us. According to this verse, this is what He wants:

*To set people free from injustice.... to advocate for those who have no advocate.
*Share food with the hungry
*Provide the poor with shelter
*Clothe the naked
*Do not turn away your own flesh and blood.

In the New Testament, God says it like this: "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.......... I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me. Matthew 25 :35-36, 40

I guess this is the next step in my Christian walk. I need to figure out how to create and take advantage of opportunities to live this type of lifestyle. Pray that God would help me to find ways to live out these verses in my life.

No comments: