Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

pursue life

Matthew 8:22, "First things first. Your business is life, not death. Follow me. Pursue life." This is in an account of Jesus addressing people who expressed an interest in following him half-heartedly or when it would be convenient. But here's what I noticed.



Pursue life...... Follow me....... I would say that I try to pursue life passionately. Actually, sometimes I find myself in over my head in my pursuit. But there is a qualifier to the passionate pursuit - following Christ. So my thoughts today have been thinking through what I am passionately pursuing that does not involve following Christ. I came up with some ideas, but they are mostly things that need doing and doing well. There is some sin that I tend to passionately pursue as well that I could definitely stand to give up. But, I can't figure out the solution to all the stuff that has to get done in life.



Overwhelmed - that's the number one descriptive word among women that I know. Overwhelmed by the tyranny of the urgent that crowds out the ability to passionately pursue the life God created them to live. So where's the solution? I'm pretty sure that overwhelmed is not a spiritual gift and that God did not create us to live a life characterized by being overwhelmed.

So, I don't have any answers today....just more questions.

No comments: