Search This Blog

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Mortality - a pain in the butt

I rarely think about my mortality. It's one of those things that I think God designed the human mind to avoid contemplating too much too soon so that we are better able to enjoy life. Or maybe I'm just shallow, take your pick! Aging and experiencing death seems like such a pain in the butt. It seems to me like it would have been way cooler to have been immortal. (Thanks Adam and Eve for blowing that for us all). I know that immortality is coming after death, I just have such a hard time trying to imagine heaven in all its glory. But I do know that it will be out of this world (cheesy pun, I know).

The other night I was driving the kids home late after soccer practice and somehow we began talking about heaven. James wondered if there would be so much food at the feast that we would all vomit. I told him that I was pretty sure that falls under the category of "no more sickness, no more pain". But then as we talked, one of us wondered if there's really food, will there be digestion? And if there is digestion, will there be poop? In heaven? And if there's poop will it smell like poop or will it smell like flowers or something? And then we talked about angels....The kids wondered if they would sound like a gospel choir or if some of the angels are appointed to play electric guitar.

I say all this for two reasons. A. It's pretty funny, much funnier if you were there and we all enjoy a good laugh. and B. Just to illustrate that it's really hard to expand your mindset enough to grasp at all what heaven might be like.

On a much more serious note, this week one of my good friends from junior high lost her dad. He just suddenly passed away. She is the first one from my very close childhood friends to lose a parent. It is a heartbreaking loss for her and her family. I regretted being unable to attend the funeral since I live out of state. Her family was really good to me growing up. They took me in as one of their own and loved me. It was her family that showed me the value of family time and that families existed where the parents were madly in love with each other and they could enjoy each other and their children.

This made me think just a little harder about death, and about trying a little harder to make every single day count. You just never know if it's all you're gonna get.

No comments: