Search This Blog

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Missions is like football

The Superbowl is coming up soon. I don't know what our plans are other than I am sure we will be watching with friends on a big tv. There will be thousands of other people who pay big bucks to sit in the stadium and watch the big game. And then there are the players.

I am certain that of all these people with an interest in the big game, the players on the winning team will experience the greatest levels of joy. (and pain, by the way)

I realized that missions is like this in many ways. Many Americans are sitting on the couch. watching mission work from afar. They are excited about the results, and like to yell about how it should be done, but they do not invest any blood or sweat.

Then there are others who give sacrificially of their money, but are still merely spectators like the fans in the stands. They love the game, but are still not players.

Then there are the players. They give months, days, and hours of blood, sweat, and tears to prepare for this big moment. They gladly face pain and potential injury for love of the game (and big bucks which is not like missions).

I contemplated this vision for some time trying to find myself in the picture. I finally decided that I want to be the coach. I want to be the person who trains and equips the players at The Crossroads to go out into all the world. I want to teach my quarterback how to run without fear. I want to train my defensive line to hold against evil. To stand firm. But most of all I just want to have a part in the game. I don't want to sit on the couch, or even in the stands. I want to go. And I want to take my friends.

My big question is now "What's next?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I soooooo like this analogy, cuz finally I'm one of the players :) hehehe I was just saying how sad I was to not be able to watch the Super Bowl or go to any Super Bowl parties this year, but this puts it all in perspective for me in a totally other playing field... :)

Thanks!