Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Not sure about Habakkuk's songwriting!

Okay, those of you who never laugh uncontrolably when you are reading the Bible should probably skip this blog to avoid being offended. I am about to be pretty irreverent.

This morning I finished reading Habakkuk. The third chapter in Habakkuk is a song - to be accompanied by stringed instruments. There are some beautiful verses in this chapter. I love the part about "even though the fig tree withers, I will praise the Lord". I love some of the descriptions of God in this chapter, "amazing, His brilliant splendor, powerful, rescuer, savior, my strength, etc." I love the description of the ocean "lifting its hands to praise the Lord." What a beautiful picture of waves!

However, here's the irreverent part. I began to kind-of sing Habakkuk's song out loud, making up the tune as I went. I was picturing it done in a worship service. When I came to the part that says, "Pestilence marches before Him; plague follows close behind." I began laughing and could not stop. I pictured our amazing, incredible worship leader, surrendered in worship singing those words and just thought it was absolutely hysterical. Then there's this part, "You crushed the heads of the wicked and laid bare their bones from head to toe." That's not something you hear everyday in worship music.

Seriously, Habakkuk chapter three contains some of the most beautiful passages I've read lately about God, his power, his mercy, and creation's response to Him. It is interesting to think about how culture has changed over the centuries, that we no longer include God's judgement as a characteristic worthy of praise. I love that songwriters throughout the ages have used music to praise God and lead people into His presence. I love that centuries after Habakkuk, we are still creating music about God's character, about how amazing is the God we serve.

Today, I echo Habakkuk's song, "I have heard all about you, Lord, and I am filled with awe by the amazing things you have done. In this time of our deep need, begin again to help us, as you did in years gone by. Show us your power to save us."

No comments: