Search This Blog

Monday, April 20, 2009

King of Kings

I had a thought at the SENT conference. I was thinking about God. About God being THE king. Perhaps living in a democracy has tempered my view of kingship. I tend to think of God's commandments as suggested guidelines for life. I like to vote on God's direction in my life and consider my friends votes as well. Democracy is a great thing. I am glad that I live in a country with considerable freedom. However, God is not an elected official, he is a king.

When you consider God as a total and complete King of all that has ever been or ever will be, it changes your outlook on life. I was especially dwelling on this in respect to his command to go into all the nations. I lived many years expecting a "call" to international mission work. Instead I finally realized that it's a command. You don't have to wait for the "call". It is simply a matter of discovering opportunities that you can take advantage of, seizing the moment, and going. It's a matter of being obedient to a King-given command.

I also have been contemplating the part of the Great Commission that addresses local responsibility. I live my daily life focused on doing my job, taking care of my family, cleaning house, and generally drowning in the urgency of all the stuff that has to be done. I am praying that God will help me to see my daily life with a greater degree of mission minded eyes and with a more open and humble heart.

I want to live as a loyal subject to my King. Course the awesome thing about my King is that he is not a King drunk on power, anxious to yell, "behead her". Instead he is a King who rules with grace. A King whose guidelines are designed to create the best possible life for his subjects. That is the nature of my King. The King that I want to learn to serve.

No comments: