Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tasting God

Psalm 34:8 "Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who trust in him!"

I've been thinking on this verse for two days. Two days ago I heard a song and one of the lines was, "My tongue dances in my mouth as I wait to taste of You." That was a little freaky at first till I remembered Ps. 34:8. I thought long and hard about this verse and realized I wasn't really sure what it meant in my life. I prayed for clearer revelation and that's today's story.

I ate lunch down at Swagger's in Anna. I've been working harder at trying to watch what I eat, and I've been working out like crazy. My long term goal is to be physically fit enough to serve God anywhere that He might take me. But I have to admit I wouldn't mind getting skinny in the process. I spent my thirty minute ride down to Anna in two ways: praying for my friend that needs clarity about job vs. ministry and God's big picture for their life; and what healthy thing I could order at Swagger's. (I'm a woman - can't help but multi-task.)

At lunch I ate fried pickles, hamburger steak smothered with gravy, mashed potatoes, and fried okra. Not grilled chicken or a salad with low-fat dressing. But it tasted good. On the way home I was frustrated that I ate about 3000 calories for lunch, when God brought Ps. 34:8 back into my mind. Here's what he said. (Not out loud, I think, just in my head.) Take it for what it's worth.

"Sometimes it is easy to taste my goodness. Sometimes I am the hot fudge sundae you desperately desire. Other times I am that tall glass of ice water you sip for endurance while you are working out. That's when it is easy to see my plans and my purposes. Sometimes my goodness is harder for you to see. When you want fried okra and gravy smothered steak, and I am grilled chicken and steamed broccoli, I am still just as good. Sometimes I am making decisions in your life about what is best for you, and it may not be the thing that you hoped I would do. Do not doubt, I am always good. Sometimes I am that new food you were afraid to try, but turned out to be great. Do not be afraid, just have faith that what I am doing is the best thing."

It made me think a little harder about Ps. 34:8. I can't say that this helps me predict the future for myself or my friends any better, but it reminded me that God is good, all the time. He has the future under control. I just have to stay right on his heels as he leads me down the path.

No comments: