Search This Blog

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Monday Morning Update 8.24.09

The Crossroads is only a couple weeks away from our official one year anniversary. Shawn spent the morning reviewing the last year of our adventure and recasting the vision for our people. It is so exciting to be reminded of where we started from and see where we are now. He reviewed our purposes of Loving God, Loving People, and Rocking the World.

The worship set turned out well. At the last minute we ended up without a drummer. Our electric guitar player has been out for many weeks, and now our bass player has left for college. That left just me on keys and Jake on acoustic. We had to ditch the first song (Sing, Sing, Sing by Tomlin) because it is very drum driven, but the rest of the set flowed well and seemed to engage our congregation in worship. I know I worshiped - I was lost enough in praising God that I forgot that anyone was listening and sang along making up my own strange harmonies. One of our new back-up babes was confused about whether she was singing the wrong notes and thought I was correcting her. I explained that if I'm singing, it is generally that I am simply lost in worship and have forgotten that other people are in the room. And I apologized profusely for being loud enough to be confusing. My bad!

Set: Everything Glorious (Crowder)
God of This City (Tomlin)
Grace Like Rain (Todd Agnew, I think)
Center (Charlie Hall)

We are still praying for a place to meet. We were not on the school board agenda this month. Hopefully next month we will be placed on the agenda. Shawn challenged us to pray for a few minutes every hour that God would grant us favor with the school or would open up an even better opportunity.

On a different note, the kids and I are headed back to school tomorrow. Please pray for us. With kids involved in extracurricular stuff and us doing ministry activities, and my teaching - life gets unbelievably crazy for us in the fall. Ask God that we would have energy for the journey. We are also hoping to work a little harder on preserving some family time each week, even if only for a few hours to stay a little better connected with the kids this year. Last year was a little rough on that end of things.

Heading into the second year of the church plant, we are looking at a significant increase from our family on the level of time that we will need to commit to be able to get multiple journey groups off the ground this year and to keep moving The Crossroads forward. Pray that we will be focused on what God needs us to be, instead of what we feel are priorities. Pray that ministering together will draw our family together and not push us apart and that we would demonstrate grace and patience to each other. Especially that I would do that. I struggle to have any patience with my family after a long day at work.

One last thing. I have finally crystallized plans for a couple of Bible studies that I want to write. Ask God to grant me wisdom and discernment in what to say and how to say it and also that He would help me to find time in my crazy world to do some serious writing.

I appreciate all of you that check this spot out daily and pray for our family. We never could have survived - no - absolutely enjoyed every moment of this first year at The Crossroads without those prayers. It's been tough at times, but I wouldn't want to live any other life.

No comments: