Search This Blog

Friday, July 9, 2010

Be a Missionary

For years, I have enjoyed mission trips to Mexico. I love going into a different culture, making new friends, and making a difference in people's lives. But my favorite part of the trip is always seeing how God works. He always goes ahead of the team, doing big and miraculous things. It is an incredible time of seeing God use my limited abilities for his glory, and also a time of recharging spiritually.

This year, for many reasons, I am not in Mexico with all my friends. My husband, and 12 year old daughter, Grace, are traveling without me. I am excited for them. I know that this will be an amazing experience that the two of them will share memories together for the rest of their lives. But being human, I was a little sad to see them leave this morning without me. I hate to miss out on anything!

However, a few minutes ago, God reminded me that being a missionary has nothing to do with being in a foreign country. We are all missionaries, every day, wherever we happen to go. God is at work around us just as much as he is at work around the Mexico mission team, if we only take time to see what he's doing. God is using us all, no matter where our lives take us, for his kingdom plans.

On this note, I decided to publish the study that I wrote for the Mexico mission trip. Maybe we are not all in Mexico, but we are all on mission. Parts of this are very specific to the Mexico situation, but parts of it can apply to us all this week. It occurred to me that God might do some amazing things indeed if we all are on one page, in one mind, with one heart, seeking to be used completely for God's kingdom this week. Even if this Bible study does not meet you where you are, at least read through it and pray for the mission team that is using it this week. (sorry, the font is doing weird things coming in from Word)

Love you all,
LaRissa

Day 1

This morning began early - more like in the middle of the night for many of you. You are meeting new people, establishing new relationships, and sharing your excitement and heart for mission work. You are excited, maybe even a little nervous about the upcoming week. There are many emotions running through your mind as you are seeking to discover your role on this particular trip. God is clear that he designed each of us to perfectly complement the other believers around us so that God’s kingdom purposes are best accomplished.

Ephesians 4:15-16, “Instead, we will hold to the truth in love, becoming more and more in every way like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church. Under his direction, the whole body is fitted together perfectly. As each part does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow, so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love.”

On this trip, God has a purpose for you. The people who are with you are the people intended to be with you on the adventure. Each of you is necessary to accomplish God’s plan. Every single person is of great value and importance for this mission. Begin now to get to know the people around you, and begin to pray for them and for your time together. Ask God to use you and your friends (old and new) beyond your biggest expectations.


No comments: