Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Some final thoughts from Zechariah

I finished reading Zechariah this morning. Only one more book to go and I will have finished the entire Bible! Wow! I am even now doing a cheer - you should see my awesome self. (Just Kidding) I thought I might share a few scattered thoughts about the last few chapters in Zechariah. Like a blog within a blog?

God's Resume
Being a recent new hire makes me way too familiar with my resume. I spent hours trying to figure out how to make myself sound professional and like I know what I'm doing. My qualifications just don't measure up when compared to God's Resume. Zechariah 12:1-2, "...This message is from the Lord, who stretched out the heavens, laid the foundations of the earth, and formed the spirit within humans." I am humbled at the reality of God's might and holiness.

Some major fireworks
I enjoy fireworks on the fourth of July. This last year was the first year that I remember not shooting off any fireworks and not going to see any shows. I was actually sick in bed on the fourth. What a bummer. I also love a fire in the fireplace during the winter. There's nothing as charming and comforting as sitting in front of the crackling fire.

However, I would not want to be in a fire. I am even now looking at a scar on my wrist from a recent battle in the kitchen. (the stove won.) But check out Zechariah 13: 9, "I will bring that group through the fire and make them pure, just as gold and silver are refined and purified by fire. They will call on my name, and I will answer them. I will say, 'These are my people,' and they will say, 'The Lord is our God.' " Truly it is because of some really hard (fiery) times in my life that I have an intimate relationship with God. It seems that the hard times are necessary to focus me on what's important and force me to depend on God who never fails. I wish that I was one of those people who could learn things the easy way, but unfortunately I am rather stubborn. I don't enjoy hard times, but I would not trade my intimate knowledge of some of the aspects of God's character that I have learned during the darkest spots of my life.

Last Thoughts
Zechariah was an interesting mix of hope and doom and stuff I really didn't understand at all. Hope you all enjoyed this book, too.

Tomorrow (Thursday) is my "meet the teacher night" at school. Ya'll pray that I will be able to finish my preparations and that I will make a good first impression on my parents and students. I am pretty nervous. I know that you are all totally shocked by that revelation.

1 comment:

adearley said...

Hey Larissa,
We are so alike in learning things the hard way. I've spent my entire life doing it and will probably always continue that way, but it definitely has brought me closer to God. One human qualities that tends to get me is not only stubbornness, but pride and unfortunately I struggle with giving it up even when I know better. :-)We're so glad to have you on our team. It's going to be a great year, we all have a lot in common. See ya tomorrow! O yeah, you won't be reading this until Saturday morning b/c you have dial-up! ;-)