Search This Blog

Monday, September 29, 2008

Whatever

Phil. 4:8 - a practical lesson in learning to focus your mind in the face of temptation, difficulty, etc. Shawn has been saying for years that this is the best passage of scripture when put into practice for dealing with unruly thoughts. I have seen his list and heard him talking through it, but have been too lazy to really think it out and make my own list.

So here's my list.

Whatever is true.
*God loves me.
*He sings songs over me.
*I am God's masterpiece.
*Christ died so that I will not be condemned.

Whatever is noble.
*righteousness
*mercy
*justice
*kindness
*ministry
*creation
*God

Whatever is right.
*Kindness
*honesty
*purity
*love
*mercy
*faithfulness
*gentleness
*goodness
*self-control
*generosity

Whatever is pure
*marriage
*infants
*Christ
*mercy
*selflessness

Whatever is lovely
*family
*friends
*creation
*music
*beauty

Whatever is admirable
*loyalty
*honesty
*doing what's right
*going the extra mile
*encouraging
*maintaining confidences
*family

Yeah, I'm not sure that this list is specific enough yet to really be useful on refocusing my thoughts. I think I may have to try plan B. Shawn said there is a plan A - resist temptation, and a plan B - run from temptation. God said it in my head like this, "You gotta know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em, know when to walk away, know when to run....." Really, does God have to use Kenny to talk to me.... EWWWW!

No comments: