Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

God lessons from Abby

Sometimes I think the main reason God gives us children is so that we can more fully understand Him. I love when God uses my 2 year old to teach me a life lesson. Then I am convicted about acting like a 2 year old.

Yesterday Abby skipped her nap. I already hear groans from the parents reading this. We were busy and not at home and I did not lay her down. So last night, some friends were hanging out at the house with their small children. As the night wore on, the kids got louder, and louder, and rowdier, and rowdier. They were having a great time, and we all laughed about the standard response of tired children. The more tired they become, the more frantic and busy they act in order to fight sleep.

As I laughed and watched them running, jumping, screaming, and chasing each other to ward off sleepiness, God used them to illustrate Matthew 11:28. "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." My life moves at a frantic pace - very much like those small children running around my house last night. When I am stressed (weary and burdened), I move at a more frantic, harried pace. God says, "Stop. I will give you rest." Instead of stopping and trusting, I keep flying through life wondering why I am exhausted. I try to do more, faster.

Last night, when Abby finally stopped, she crashed. She was asleep in under 2 minutes in her Daddy's arms. I want to remember that when I am running through life and become weary, that my heavenly Daddy is ready to hold me in His arms and give me rest. I just have to stop.

No comments: