Search This Blog

Saturday, July 19, 2008

God is not a microwave.

This morning, in my quiet time, I was reading Habakkuk 2:3, "But these things won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, wait patiently, for it will surely take place. It will not be delayed."

Honestly, I think I like yesterday's verse better. The "God is going to do something amazing in your own time " verse. Many times God has moved swiftly in my life, doing incredible things in a short period of time. It is easy to respond with praise and exultation when God is working bigger and faster than I expected. It's when He behaves according to Habakkuk 2:3 that the doubts start to creep in. It can be so hard to see God's hand when He is moving slowly, steadily, and surely.

I seem to expect God to be quick - like a microwave. However, today I was reminded that He is not on my time table. Today, I have been contemplating the vast scope of His vision for the world, the nations, and all of time. I tend to expect God to do big and amazing things in my life, and when He is working slowly, I become frustrated and discouraged. I lose sight of the fact that He is doing something big and amazing with the entire human race and I am but a teeny-tiny part of the vision.

I want to develop a walk with Christ where I am okay with Him working slowly, steadily, and surely in my life. A walk where I can wait patiently for the fulfillment of His vision. A walk that is not about me, where God's goodness and activity level is not measured by the incredible things that are going on in my own life. I want to keep in perspective that God is doing a huge thing with the universe, and I am but only one piece.

God is worthy of my praise all the time, regardless of how He is working in my life at the moment.

No comments: